If there’s anyone that’s qualified to write about how to travel with kids, it’s our talented contributor Kaley.
She’s currently living in Vienna, Austria with her husband and two little girls and “on a mission to see as much of Europe as possible before heading back stateside”.
Her blog is full of gorgeous photographs of her family’s travels to places like Berlin, Slovakia, and the Netherlands. She also shares lots of smart tricks she’s learned along the way, including how to make a DIY Car Sick Kit and how to create a custom digital travel map for your next trip.
Today she’s sharing her top 27 must-know tips for happy family travels…
It’s summer, and time for some fun family travel. Whether you are planning an exotic overseas trip, or an overnight at Grandma and Grandpa’s house, you likely have at least one family outing planned in the next few months.
No matter what kind of trip you are looking forward to, you are probably a little stressed about the specifics.
Traveling with kids isn’t always easy, we all know that. But with these tips and tricks we hope to take the stress out of family travel and help you (and the kids) enjoy all of your upcoming trips.
Traveling as a Family
- Choose from the best travel destinations for families.
- Set a budget for your trip.
- Prepare your kids for the trip.
- Make a DIY Travel Journal for kids (or you!) to record all of the amazing details of your trip.
Sightseeing with Kids
Flying with Kids
- Forget preboarding! Board last to cut down on time spent on the plane
- Have a sense of humor.
- Build a fort on the plane to help kids sleep.
Road Trips with Kids
- Get your car road trip ready.
- Choose an audiobook the whole family will enjoy.
- Make a travel-friendly coloring station to use in the car.
- If you have kids that are prone to motion sickness, keep a DIY Car Sick Kit handy.
Staying in Hotels with Kids
- A room with a terrace is key if you have kids that still nap.
- Choose an unconventional hotel, such as a houseboat, mud hut, or an igloo.
- Make a DIY hotel activity pack to keep kids entertained in the room.
Camping with Kids
- Use an Ikea hanging organizer to store your kids clothes.
- Teach kids about the constellations with this app.
- Bring this all-natural miracle healing balm to soothe sunburns, insect bits and skin allergies.
- Take a break from technology.
Hiking with Kids
- Get kids involved in the hike with a scavenger hunt.
- If you have a toddler or young preschooler, bring this carrier for when they get tired.
- Get hiking tips from the experts.
Beach Days with Kids
- Remove sand from skin with baby powder.
- Keep beach toys in a mesh laundry bag.
- Make sure you have all the essentials with this printable checklist.
*Post contains affiliate links
More Travel Tips from MPMK
Need help feeding your toddler?
Sign up for our newsletter to get a handy stick-it-your-fridge list of our favorite meals for toddlers and a link to all of the recipes!
Latest posts by Kaley (see all)
- Making Snowmen… Inside! - February 12
- Playtime: Valentine Fortune-Tellers & Knock-Knock Jokes - January 22
- Best Homemade Playdough Ever: Jell-O Playdough - April 25