I don’t have a step-by-step tutorial for you today because all of the blankets you see here (plus a few more that were being washed) were lovingly whipped up by my mother-in-law and her BFF. She graciously walked me through the steps and assured me that this is a total beginner project. So here we go:
- Start with 2 pieces of fabric measuring 40″ square. This, I’m told, is the official size for achieving the perfect swaddle. As always, be sure to pre-wash and press your fabric before starting.
- Sandwich the 2 pieces of fabric together with the right sides of the fabric touching.
- Sew all the way around the square with a 1/4″ – 1/2″ allowance, leaving a small opening (about 6 inches or so) to turn the blanket right side out.
- Trim the corners so they’ll square off better and pull the blanket right side out through the opening.
- Top stitch the opening shut.
The last step is to use tapestry thread to add a blanket stitch around the edging. This detail is what really gives the blanket that “made with love” feel. The blanket stitch is not hard. I found a great collection of tutorials on several pretty versions for you here. It does take some though – it’s one of those activities you do while catching up on all the shows you have on your DVR but never get around to actually watching.
Jell-O Playdough - Softest recipe ever!
Sign up for our newsletter and get the recipe in a handy PDF to print and take to the store or use in the kitchen while whipping up a batch with your kids!