*This post is sponsored by The Quaker Oats Company, all opinions are 100% our own.
When it comes to breakfast, are you a salty or sweet lover?
Although I’m notorious for my sweet tooth, I just can’t do too much sugar, or even fruit, first thing in the morning. Which is why I cannot wait to try this nutritious breakfast creation from our contributor, Kristin.
Instead of traditional oatmeal toppings like fruit and brown sugar, she’s gone savory with turmeric oats, eggs, and red onions. Then she tops it all off with acorn squash for the perfect dish to start your fall day.
Sounds a little different, I know, but the bright yellow color of the turmeric oats is like a bowl of sunshine.
If onions in the morning isn’t your thing, this would also make a delicious (and super simple) dinner. Perfect for when you only have 45 between the bus stop drop off and the start of soccer practice.
Turmeric Oats with Acorn Squash, Spinach, Red Onion and Egg
To Make 1 Serving:
- 1/2 cup Quaker Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 cup water or milk
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 egg fried to your liking
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 cup steamed and cubed acorn squash
- 1 heaping cup of baby spinach
- Add the milk or water to the oats and bring to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Add the turmeric and cook the oats, stirring frequently, until they’re thick and creamy.
- While the oats are cooking, slice the red onion and sauté with olive oil over medium-high heat until tender.
- Put the baby spinach on top of the oats and cover the saucepan for a minute or two to let the spinach wilt.
- Top with cubed acorn squash, onions and egg. Season with salt and pepper (add red pepper flakes if you like a little more heat). Hint: Steam the acorn squash the night before and microwave to heat in the morning.
This post was written as part of our participation in The Oat Authority, a team of top bloggers out to help Quaker meet the needs of families’ evolving lifestyles with tips and recipes that inspire delicious, wholesome and convenient breakfasts and snacks!