I told you guys last week about my collaboration with Tom’s of Maine as a member of their Goodness Circle. Today, I wanted to share with you about a special collaboration Tom’s is involved in with one of my favorite places in the world – Target.
Have you heard of their Made to Matter – Handpicked by Target Program?
It’s Target’s mission to build strong partnerships with purpose-driven brands in the wellness space to make natural, organic and sustainable products more accessible.
This year, they’re going even further, inclusion in the Made to Matter 2016 program required each brand to meet one or more of 5 criteria:
- Reduced waste and packaging to meet the rising consumer demand for eco-friendly products that limit waste. Right now, 50 percent of U.S. waste is comprised of product packaging.
- Closed loop systems that utilizes a production system where the excess of one process or product is used to make another product. U.S. waste has tripled since 1960 and the average U.S. resident produces 1600 pounds of waste but only recycles or composts 35 percent of it.
- Clean label products that are made without additives and harsh chemicals.
- Dietary and allergen restrictions that accommodate the growing commonality of specialized diets and food allergies. According to a study released in 2013 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, food allergies among children increased approximately 50 percent between 1997 and 2011.
- Reduced sugar—plain and simple! In 1822, the average American consumed 45 grams of sugar—the amount found in one of today’s 12-oz. sodas—every five days. Today, the average American consumes that much every seven hours.
“Guests love the Made to Matter collection because it offers them a way to easily discover new products that are better for them, their families and the world around them.”
-Jeff Jones, Target CMO
So once they were hand-picked to participate in the program, what did Tom’s of Main contribute?
Four new products to its natural personal care portfolio to meet the needs of both parents and kids. For parents there’s new Luminous White advanced whitening toothpaste and two firsts for the brand include men’s Naturally Dry North Woods antiperspirant and Wicked Cool! boys and girls deodorants formulated especially for kids when they’re ready.
I’m so excited to have the pair of deodorants made especially for tween girls and boys available when I need them- I can’t even tell you.
My oldest is 7 so we’re not quite there yet, but I know it will be a bit of a tricky time… How great will it be to have a natural product I know I can trust and made especially for someone his age?
I can already picture showing it to my son and seeing him grin at me when he reads the label “Wicked Cool!”… And y suspicions were totally confirmed when I gave the deodorant to my neighbor who reported back that her son totally loved it (see photo up top).
In case you’re interested, here’s more info. on all of the products in collection – go get ’em all!
*Disclosure: As a participant of the Tom’s of Maine Goodness Circle, I’ve received compensation for my time and product samples for review purposes. Opinions are my own.
Photos by Jordan Swain
More “1 Year to a Non-Toxic Home” Posts
Need help feeding your toddler?
Sign up for our newsletter to get a handy stick-it-your-fridge list of our favorite meals for toddlers and a link to all of the recipes!