‘Tis the season for pumpkin and apple recipes!
If you’ve taken advantage of the seasonal grocery sales or done some apple picking at your local orchard, chances are you need some apple inspiration. This recipe is for you!
Apple recipes are timeless to me. Even though they are the freshest this time of year, you can always find apples and they are always warm and comforting when baked.
For this dessert, I took an old favorite cookie – the coconut macaroon – and baked it on an apple slice for a more seasonal feel. Sprinkled with cinnamon and paired with ice cream, these make a great addition to any fall meal.
Most of the ingredients are pantry items, so if coconut and apples are on your typical grocery list, you can whip these up any time.
Check out MPMK’s list of Holiday Baking Essentials to see what else we like to keep on-hand during the holidays for last-minute baking.
Coconut Macaroon Baked Apples
Serves eight, inspired by The Vintage Mixer. Prep time: 10 minutes, Bake time: 20-25 minutes.
- 2-3 apples, sliced into rounds with the core removed (You will want 8 apple slices total)
- 7 ounces shredded coconut, about 1 1/2 cups packed (I used sweetened, but unsweetened would work, too – maybe just add a bit of honey or maple syrup to bind them together)
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the apple rounds onto the baking sheet.
- To make the topping, mix the coconut, almond meal, egg whites, spices and extracts until well-combined. Scoop the topping onto the apple rounds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges of the macaroons begin to brown and the apples look softened.
- Serve warm with ice cream, if desired.
And if you’re looking for even more seasonal recipes, don’t miss our FREE 24 page PDF Thanksgiving Menu Planner!
*Post contains affiliate links.