Having my kids home for the summer means constant grazing. Sure we eat regular meals, but when the kids are swimming and playing hard they need an extra snack or two.
I like to cut up all my vegetables at the beginning of the week and then mix it up with a few dips.
Let’s face it, vegetables alone are a hard sell. I’ve perfected three dips that I know my kids will enjoy. And the more the dip, the more vegetables they eat!
The first is similar to ranch dip, but a little healthier. The flavor is vibrant, so if your little one likes a mild dip, cut the amount of herbs in half. My kids like to dip snap peas, peppers and cucumbers in this dip.
Herbed Ranch Veggie Dip
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoons chives, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
Mix well with a spoon. The softer the cream cheese, the easier this will be to mix.
I also like to make hummus for my kids. Traditional hummus with garbanzo beans and lots of garlic is a little too much for my kids’ taste. Instead, I make a white bean hummus. I love that they are getting lots of protein with every dip. We love this dip with vegetables and flat bread.
White Bean Hummus
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
Throw everything into your blender and blend until you have a smooth consistency. I use a VitaMix, so it only takes about 20 seconds.
When my kids are craving something sweet I’ll put out a plate of celery and carrot sticks with this peanut butter honey dip. It’s so easy to make, but the combination makes it taste like a fancy dip that took all afternoon.
Peanut Butter Honey Dip
- 1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons honey
Stir until thoroughly combined.
Question of the Day
What’s your kids’ favorite way to eat their veggies?
*Post contains affiliate links.
Latest posts by Kristin (see all)
- Tips from a Teacher: 9 Questions to Get Your Kids to Finally Open Up! - May 3, 2017
- 7 Skinny Coffee Drinks You Can Make at Home - April 23, 2017
- 7 Ideas From a Teacher On What to Do with The Kids Over Spring Break - April 3, 2017